12.28.2010

Visiting...

Yesterday I visited Roa'a's (now that looks strange with two apostrophes) house since I only had one class in the morning. She met me at the university and we took the bus to a nearby town (almost a suburb, but not quite the same) where she lives. Her mom made us lunch and we spent a couple hours just talking. It was nice to get out of the city and see something other than my neighborhood or the route to and from school. :) I wish I would have taken my camera along because the scenery and the mix of people was so fascinating. I tried to take it all in but I don't think I could ever do justice to it. Also on the way home I had the adventure/misfortune of getting the taxi driver lost trying to find my way to my neighborhood, since we came from a different direction. Poor guy...he couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Arabic, plus I didn't really know exactly how to get him to my street.

I must admit that traveling outside the city like that made me feel very foreign...like I stuck out like a sore thumb. But maybe it was mostly because everything around me was foreign to me. I hope that in time I won't feel as much like I don't belong, even if I still look foreign to the people around me. :)

I am counting down the days until finals day...the 6th of January!! Although I'm not exactly sure yet what I will do to fill my time during the weeks of break (besides the trip to Germany) I'm looking forward to a change of pace.

Finally, I'll leave you with a picture that was taken while my friends were visiting. I am always fascinated by the differences in people here...people watching brings all kinds of interesting perspectives. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment