12.07.2010

The University

I got an email yesterday asking for more information about the university, which I am happy to share. :) If any of the rest of you have questions send them my way...I am always happy to know what you are interested in hearing about.

Anyway, the university is probably one of the largest in the country, and I was told by an Arab friend that there are around 42,000 students altogether, this semester. They have buildings for all the programs and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen half of the campus yet, because it probably is half a mile or more from one end to the other. Connected to the campus is the university hospital where the medical students study, similar to the U of Iowa I guess. However, unlike the U of I, I don't think this hospital would be considered the go-to place for procedures. They tend to have smaller hospitals (more like clinics really) that are in about every neighborhood. My little part of the university is called the Language Center. Not only does it house the classrooms for us foreigners, it also holds classes in other languages for Arab students. I'm not sure how many foreign students there are in the Language Center program...but there are 7 levels and probably 4 of those levels have two classes. There is also an exchange program operating out of the university that has probably close to 100 American students, but they are not just taking language, they are taking other classes about the culture and history of this region.

Demographics...I'd say from my observations (don't depend on these to be totally accurate) that there are at least equal numbers of guys and girls, and possibly a majority of girls. At least around the capital here probably 9 out of 10 high school graduates go on to university of some kind. I think you will find women in about every program, or faculty as they call them. I'd say the vast majority of the students are Muslim, and most of the girls at least are pretty conservative in the way they dress, wearing either just the hijab or also the veil. There are some Christians (I've met at least one, and had several others pointed out by Roa'a) and I don't think they would be discriminated against in entering the university. I don't think there are any Arabs who are not from this country or Palestine...it doesn't appear to me that they travel great distances to attend university, since family is so integral to their lives.

My roommate told me after she came to the university one day that it seems pretty chill compared to some parts of the city. She didn't feel like the guys were staring or making noises at her.

The campus itself has a lot of trees and is pretty green (as in, there's more vegetation) compared to most of the city, which is nice.

Umm...and that's all I can think of to describe about the university at the moment. :)

Today is the Islamic New Year so we didn't have school, and Roa'a came over and we made snickerdoodles and hung out for a few hours. Tonight I'm going to the airport to pick up some friends who are visiting for the rest of the week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment