Today was Orientation Day for the Language Center at the University. I left extra early, because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get a taxi. Well, turns out the second taxi I saw I was able to get into. :) So I was there extra early. But that was okay, because I was able to relax and read a bit.
During the orientation I sat between two young people, both from America, both just high school graduates and both of whom have parents who came from this region originally. It was interesting hearing their perspectives on coming to learn Arabic. They've heard it all their lives from their fathers, but haven't learned it at all while living in the States. The young man is in my class so I think we'll probably connect some more. I had met him on Sunday while I was waiting to finish registering.
Anyway, I have my class schedule now, at least for the rest of the week, and everything is set for tomorrow.
The journey home was another adventure in modes of transportation. I caught a bus (this one was smaller, almost like a large van) to the one end of balat, and then set off walking again, determined to make it all the way to where the servees comes to go up to my neighborhood. I was getting close, but starting to wear out and second guess myself, so I stopped to try and get a taxi. A lady was standing there and I tried to get her help to figure out where the servees are, but I think I ended up confusing her. :) Finally a taxi came and it turns out I was only about two blocks away from the servees. But because of the confusion I took the taxi, and the lady who helped me even rode along to make sure the taxi driver got me there alright.
Tomorrow on the way home I'll know the way now, and be able to save some money on transportation.
Inshallah tomorrow I'll start learning Arabic!
No comments:
Post a Comment