9.19.2010

Change of Plans...& The Feeling of Success

Well, I know I said yesterday I was going to go to Mecca Mall, but turns out we didn't go. Instead we went down to the balat, or near the balat, to go shopping on Italian Street. So named because of the Italian Hospital that is located on this street. (at least that is what I assume) Don't ask me what makes the hospital Italian though. :) Also, my friend showed me how to use the servees, which are the shared taxis that drive on specific routes around the city. Anyways, back to shopping. There are alot of used clothing stores on that street and we (a friend and I) went to go find some shirts for me to wear, since most of mine aren't long enough. And it was a success! I got three new (to me) shirts, and I even wore one of them today, on what was supposed to be my first day of classes.
Notice I said "supposed to"? Well, yesterday wasn't the only change of plans...today also carried lots of surprises. :) I got up super early because I hadn't finished registration on Thursday, and I wanted to make sure I was on time. I had to wait for a taxi for awhile, but still got to the University in what I thought was plenty of time. Well, after going to the Language Center and speaking to the gentleman who helped me Thursday, I found out that in actuality, classes don't start today, they start Wednesday, with orientation on Tuesday.
And so, I was able to take my time finishing my registration, and since I was feeling such a weight of worry lifted off me at getting that all done, I decided to try and figure out which bus I needed to take to get back to the balat. And that is where the feeling of success came in, because I did it! Well, okay, I did it with some help from some very kind women. I used that one Arabic word I know, "balat" and they pointed out the bus to take. From where I got dropped off I walked into the balat a ways, and then hailed a taxi to take me the rest of the way to my neighborhood. I'm glad I didn't try to walk the whole way to Italian Street to catch a servees up the hill to my neighborhood, because it was a long way from where I got dropped off. But still, I accomplished public transportation!!
It is with a great sense of relief and accomplishment that I am back at the apartment, awaiting the next adventure... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment