11.08.2010

Another Achievement to Mark

I don't have any pictures from Petra, since I didn't end up going to Petra. :) I will get there, I promise, but this past weekend just was not the best time...

Anyway, today I took my mid-term exam, which was not as easy as my teacher was making it out to be. :( I didn't fail (at least I don't think I did) but I had trouble with not knowing some of the words. However, if the rumbling in the class could be trusted, I think everyone had trouble with some of the vocabulary. So, at least I'm not at the bottom. :)

And now more about that achievement...yesterday and today I successfully hosted Arab girls here in the apartment. :) Some might say that this is not an accomplishment, but for a single woman in an Arab culture,  like me, it is. Hospitality here is very important, and there are certain customs to be observed so that I don't offend the guests. Thankfully, while Arabs value hospitality they also are very forgiving of foreigners. :) Yesterday Haneen came home with me from the university and we ate lunch and then I taught her Dutch Blitz. (a vonderful gut and easy game to teach) Since I was at the university I couldn't exactly cook a meal, so instead we stopped and picked up a roasted chicken on the way home. There is this place in the neighborhood that makes rotisserie-type chicken that is delicious. And then today after my exam Roa'a met me at the university and came back with me. We talked for awhile and then went and got lunch (chicken again) and then I taught her Dutch Blitz as well. I tend to have deeper conversations with Roa'a since her English is a bit better than Haneen's (not that Haneen's English isn't good, I think she just doesn't have all the vocab that Roa'a does), but I know Haneen enjoyed the game more. :) All in all, I think I was a successful hostess. :) I guess we'll see if they come back or not...that will be the true test.

Tomorrow is a holiday because of the elections. I'm assuming everything will be closed at least for part of the day, so I'm planning to stay at home and study and rest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment