I guess it's time for another round of learning Arabic with Erica. :) How would you like to learn some greetings? If you don't, you might as well stop reading this post now.
*One note: I will be writing the words the way they sound, not necessarily in their correct spelling.
Okay, when I walk into a store, or get into a taxi, the first thing I usually say is "A Salaam Al Lei Kum" or just "A Salaam". This literally means "peace be upon you" or at least I'm pretty sure it does. :) The response is "Wa A-Lei Kum Salaam", which means "and upon you too" (not literally though). "Wa" is "and" in Arabic.
Another greeting that means "hello" is "Mar-ha-ba". When I greet Christians this is what I use, since the first phrase is a Muslim greeting. The little shop across the street that I go to get pop sometimes is one of the places where I use "marhaba" since Christians own the shop.
In the mornings at school, the greeting "Sa-bakh al Hare" which means "good morning". The response to this is "Sa-bakh al Noor". "Sabakh" is the word for morning, and so in the evening another word (that I can't remember at the moment and I don't want to get up to find it in my notes) is substituted within the same two greetings.
When I walk into a store I am often greeted with "A-ha-lan Wa Sa-ha-lan" which is basically "welcome" although I don't know the exact translation.
Well, that should be enough for now. :) I am still contemplating doing a short video so that you can actually hear how it sounds, but at the moment, I'm feeling a bit grubby and so I'm not about to videotape myself now. Insh-allah I will do it this week sometime. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment