I am realizing that as the weeks pass by I am finding less to write about. So if any of you want me to write anything specific let me know.
This week has been a very nice contrast to the previous weeks in terms of weather. I even pulled out the down comforter that was in my closet, although it really isn't quite cold enough for that. But I am sitting here in short-sleeves thinking about going to get my fleece and some socks since I'm getting chilly. :)
Because of the time change it is actually light out when I get up (although yesterday....well, I'll tell that story in a bit), however, before 5 it is pretty much dark, which makes me tired.
So, yesterday....well, for some unknown reason my alarm clock got set ahead an hour (I must have bumped the right combination of buttons or something) and so at what I thought was 6:30 I was out of bed getting ready for the day. I even thought I was running a tad late so I rushed out the door at what I thought was 7:30, and had made it halfway up our little alley before it occurred to me that there were no children out and about, and normally at 7:30 the streets are crawling with children on their way to school. I glanced at my watch and here it said 6:30! Not quite believing it, I checked my ipod, since I knew that it had the right time. And yes, it was definitely just 6:30, not 7:30. So I went back inside, checked my email and actually straightened my hair before leaving again, this time at 7:30. :) You may ask why I didn't realize it earlier, but even when I did look at my other time-keeping devices I really only noticed the minutes, not the hours because that was all I really cared about, since of course, I had gotten up at 6:30. So, anyway, I was tired last night and tried to get to bed a bit earlier than normal.
Today my one roommate came out to the university and met Roa'a my friend I had made. We had a good time hanging out together, and apparently my enjoyment of shwerma is getting to be quite humorous to them.
Anyway, I'm finding that I'm falling more and more towards the middle/bottom-middle of my class as far as proficiency goes. This is somewhat of a new thing for me, since normally it isn't that hard for me to keep at the front of the pack. I'm finding that while I can read and write fairly well (as in understanding what I'm doing), I am still horrible at speaking. When I am asked a question my mind goes blank and all those words I thought I knew fly out of my head and I'm left like a fish out of water, struggling to produce even the basic sentences. :P Let me just be honest and say that this isn't a pleasant feeling for me to not have schoolwork come easily and has definitely caused some soul searching in what I place my identity in. But I am trying to use more and more of the language as I'm out, in taxis and with my Arab friends, so inshallah I will continue to get better. I also have to keep reminding myself that I've only started learning this language 6 weeks ago, and that I should have more grace for myself.
Anyway, things I'm looking forward to...going to visit Petra on Saturday, a vacation day because of the elections next Tuesday, and then the Eid (I think it's where they celebrate the sacrifice of Abraham's son, but don't quote me on that) the following week, which means a full week off of school!
Well, that was a nice long update...I wasn't expecting that much when I sat down to write tonight. :)
Salaam!
So shwerma is now your subsitute for MtDew/gummie animals/Chinese food on Derry St :) Love it :)
ReplyDelete