About half an hour ago I woke up to horns honking and some cheering coming from what sounded like my neighborhood. Needless to say, I came awake pretty fast, wondering if a demonstration was happening right here. Of course I did the only thing I could...I jumped out of bed and ran to the balcony to see what I could see. I saw a few people in the street but not what was really going on, and so, determined to find out exactly, I ran back to my room to throw on some clothes so that I could go down and check it out. There was no way a demonstration was going to go on right on my street without me catching at least a glimpse. (I can just see my mom shuddering at the thought of me going looking for a demonstration) :) Well, while I was quickly getting ready my one roommate came out and told me that really all that's going on is that the taow-ji-he results are out at the girls school just across the street and so students are celebrating. I guess that means no demonstration, but it does seem like there's an excitement in the air outside and that is always fun. :) It might help that it's warmer today too.
The توجيهي ("taow-ji-he"; isn't that cool that I figured out the Arabic script? It's read from right to left) is the test that all high school seniors take if they want to go to college. They sometimes don't even go to school their senior year but just study for this test, because it determines what kinds of subjects they can study in college or university. For instance, if someone wants to be a doctor, but they don't score high enough, they are not really allowed to go into that field. In some ways it's like the SATs or the ACTs but it carries a lot more weight here.
So, that was my excitement for the morning, and all before 10:00. :) Now I'm enjoying a cup of real coffee before I go pack for my weekend trip.
!مع سلام Ma Salaam! (good-bye)
The توجيهي ("taow-ji-he"; isn't that cool that I figured out the Arabic script? It's read from right to left) is the test that all high school seniors take if they want to go to college. They sometimes don't even go to school their senior year but just study for this test, because it determines what kinds of subjects they can study in college or university. For instance, if someone wants to be a doctor, but they don't score high enough, they are not really allowed to go into that field. In some ways it's like the SATs or the ACTs but it carries a lot more weight here.
So, that was my excitement for the morning, and all before 10:00. :) Now I'm enjoying a cup of real coffee before I go pack for my weekend trip.
!مع سلام Ma Salaam! (good-bye)
No comments:
Post a Comment