Here are my pictures from my trip these past few days. Just to warn you...there's a lot...and I'm going to add another post with pictures from my friend. :)
I'm not sure how much you all want to know about the details of the trip, so I'll just add a bit of explanation and if you want the full scoop, let me know and I'll email you instead.
The streets in Old City Nazareth. You can just see the sign for the Fauzi Azar Inn, a pretty famous place to stay...at least among people I know. :) It's a pretty incredible place...right in the heart of the old city.
Inside the Fauzi Azar there is an incredible mural in the dining area, done by a woman I am privileged to know. We went into the inn and they graciously allowed us to go and see the mural, even though the room wasn't technically open. :)
The Orthodox Church of the Annunciation...or the Basilica as it is also called. It is supposedly on the site where the angel appeared to Mary telling her she would give birth to Jesus. Inside are pictures (mosaics and other media like that) of that announcement given by lots of countries from around the world.
The doors to the Basilica
Inside a group from Ethiopia was there praying and carrying out a service. I think they were Coptics...and it was interesting to observe their way of worshipping.
Looking out over the city of Nazareth...right behind my head is Mt. Precipice, where they say the story in Luke 4:16-30.
We spent Saturday, Sunday and Monday in Nazareth and then headed to Jerusalem Tuesday morning...
We stayed at a hostel right inside the Old City, and this was the view. :) Our "room" was actually the roof, and although it was a bit chilly last night, in reality it was an amazing place to spend our night in Jerusalem.
We walked and walked through the Old City, getting lost at times, but eventually making our way here, to the Western (Wailing) Wall. I got some pictures as we walked up the walkway onto the Temple Mount.
Some men placing their written prayers into the cracks.
These men were having a Quranic study in the Temple Mount complex, right outside the Dome of the Rock...the man on the right is the teacher I believe.
The Dome of the Rock
A man studying in the Temple Mount complex
From the Temple Mount we made our way...eventually...to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. This is a bit blurry (sorry!) but these people are putting items on and kissing the stone believed to be the slab that Jesus' body was laid upon while he was in the grave. The people believe that the items they place on there will be blessed...fascinating and a bit sad.
From the Church we took the bus to East Jerusalem, up to the Mt. of Olives. Not really like what I pictured, but we did get a great view of the Old City. Directly below is a Jewish cemetery and I believe it's either the Kidron Vally or the Valley of Ben Himmon (I'm not sure on that spelling) between me and the Old City.
Here's the view without me in it. :)
This is where we slept last night...this is at 6 am as the sun was coming up. :)
And this was the sunrise...it was incredible to look over the Old City, because from where I was at, it looked so small...every important site to Christians, Muslims and Jews so close together, and yet worlds apart. From the catacomb of streets below it was a totally different story...it seemed like they went on forever.
One of our "roofmates" woke up with the sun too, to pray. It was fascinating to observe the ritual prayers of the Jews.






I think the mural was painted by Jill's really good friend, Emily? I think you were able to meet her!! You continue to be in our prayers!
ReplyDelete