...To English vocabulary that is.
I've found that as I continue to learn Arabic there are certain words or phrases that I use all the time, even when the rest of the conversation is in English. Somehow these words capture a thought or expression better than any word English has to offer. So I think that we should think about adding them to regular English vocabulary. Or at the very least, be prepared for me to have them in my vocabulary when I come home. :)
Here are the words I have thought of:
SHA-BOB
Literally translated this word means "youth" or "young men", but I use it to describe the teenage/post teenage young men who prowl the streets like they own them, using their profound grasp of the English language ("Hello! How are you?" in a strong accent) to attract any foreign woman they see, along with other catcalls and kissing noises. Really, what woman wouldn't be attracted to sounds like that?
(please read this description with a heavy dose of sarcasm)
I think the worst part is that any sign of acknowledgement (even a glare) on my part is tantamount to saying, "I want to sleep with you." I mean, really.
I love how this one word sums up that whole description. In any conversation I can say, "Oh those shabob" and the other person knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Brilliant!
YAL-LAH
This is basically like "let's go" or "come on". This a great little phrase that you can use as a response, a question or any time you want to move from one place to another.
HUL-LAS
I think the literal translation is "enough" or "finished". I'm not sure I ever got the exact translation although I learned very quickly what it meant. :) I use it as a question, but also like, "...and then, hullas." Another time I use it is at the end of speaking in front class, sort of like a "the end" type of word. It's a fun word to say too.
INS-SHA-AL-LAH
It means "if God wills it" but I use it more like "I hope..." Everyone here uses this phrase, all the time. Sometimes even in taxis, when I tell the driver where I want to go, he will respond, "Insha'allah". :) This phrase encapsulates the mentality of Arabs...only what God wills will happen. Whatever happens in life must be because God wills it, so they don't worry about it.
I think independent, politically-correct West has lost sight of the truth within this phrase, because we think we can control our own destinies, forgetting how wrapped up they are within the Plan of our Father.
Anyway, those are just a few I thought of this afternoon. There's one other I thought of, but it's more of a very descriptive sound that's too hard to put into words, so that one will have to wait 'til we meet in person. :)
Hullas.
No comments:
Post a Comment