3.29.2011

National Celebrations and a University Party

Last Tuesday I spent the entire day at the university since there was a reception/party for the Language Center students in the evening.
So anyway, after class I met Roa'a for awhile and there was a huge commotion going on by the main library, so of course we went to check it out. Apparently it was the anniversary of the time that this country repelled the country next door, the only time this other country has yet been turned back, which was cause for celebration I guess. :) There was someone asking questions over a loud speaker, and shabob (guys) were repelling off of another building. It was interesting to observe their celebrations, because I don't think the U.S. would celebrate quite the same way, although the 4th of July is somewhat because of the same reasons. Inside the Language Center they had a bunch of pictures up about this war, and one of them had pictures of all the soldiers who lost their lives during the conflict/war/whatever you call it. Some of the soldiers were really young, maybe even 19-20.
So, after observing the festivities my American friend and I went and enjoyed some Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza for lunch. :) It was the first time I've eaten it here, and it was delicious!
In the evening we went back to the university and joined the crowd of students waiting to get into the restaurant for the party. We waited outside almost 45 minutes until the president of the university showed up with his entourage so that we could go in and greet him and then eat. We ate lots of good Arab food and then it was nice to head home.
So that was my exciting day last week that I haven't gotten around to writing about until now. :)
This Friday and Saturday the university trip is first to the desert, where we'll ride jeeps (maybe camels!!) and sleep in Bedouin tents overnight and then down to the very southern tip of the country, to their only port city, located on the Red Sea. I was looking at the weather for the port city and it's supposed to be between 80 and 90 degrees down there over the weekend, which I'm excited for. :) I might actually get some sun, although we're going to need to find some sunscreen so I don't burn. Inshallah I will put pictures up on Sunday or Monday from the trip. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment